Tuesday, December 3, 2013

One Hour of Recycling

I just spent one hour in the basement sorting through files and binders full of materials from meetings, conferences, mailings and research.  The recyclable bin is full of papers on Bridges to Poverty, Brain Research, Child Care, Starting Over, Conflict Resolution, and Behavior Management, There was more on Curriculum Guides, Family Literacy, Parenting, Life Skills, and I can't remember what else.  I haven't looked at some of it for years.  It was easy to part with much of it.

However, there is still a lot more on those shelves and in those drawers.  I will have to take time to go through staff reports, grant proposals, records, newsletters--all of which are historical records.  But who will be interested in them?   Some memories are not so good.  I found a letter of reprimand from a Housing Authority administrator who thought I was undermining her authority at some point.  I was not sad when she was terminated for unprofessional conduct later!

And then there are all the student files I still have in boxes--from the Hope Rescue Mission, the St. Joseph Library, Family Literacy, and now MC3 classes.  I can no longer puts faces with many of the names, but some I will never forget!

Maybe as time passes, I will be able to part with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment