Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sharing Stories



A recurring theme of Joan Chittester's book The Gift of Years is that we older folks have wisdom and experiences to share with the younger ones.  I have been thinking that there is danger in this idea of sharing stories.   I have to bite my tongue sometimes, and too often I don't, when someone tells me of a problem with a child, or a funny family story, or a travel adventure, and I want to say something like, "That happened to us too" and then go on with my story.  A life of almost 68 years does provide one with many stories!  But often it is better just to be a good listener and not always have to contribute another anecdote--however treasured a memory it may be to me!


1 comment:

  1. On the other hand, those of us who are slogging through the earlier stages of life often get a lot of comfort from knowing that others have survived similar things. :)

    ReplyDelete