Saturday, March 1, 2014

Retirement in Florida?

February 27, 2014

I am sitting by the pool at the lovely home of Jim's brother Dave and his wife Gwen in a gated community in Bonita Springs, Florida.  I can see a lemon tree, palm trees, orchids, Spanish moss, and much other vegetation that I cannot name.  It is 7:30 am and I am comfortable in my pjs outside!  Is this heavenly?

   It is a temporary glimpse of a very pleasant way of life, a very luxurious way of life.  Jim and Dave golfed nine holes yesterday and we ate at the country club's sports bar which was packed with people.  I looked around and asked Gwen if all these rather young-looking folks were retired.   She said they were older than they might look.  I did think later that I may have been the only white-haired woman I saw.  Gwen said that plenty of money and time is spent on "maintenance."

Life centers around the club with many opportunities there for exercise, bridge, choir, Bible study, and golf, of course.  Gwen and Dave knew so many people and greeted them warmly.  The whole area is absolutely beautiful with paths for walking and biking, and waterways for kayaking.  I marveled at the variety of palm trees and brightly colored flowers.

I shall enjoy the day.  After a good night of sleep, it is a gift to me.  And then I shall happily go home tomorrow, scrape off the snow on the car in the airport parking lot, turn up the heat in the house and go back to our comfortable routine with much gratitude for a break in it.  It is a good thing I feel this way because our retirement funds would disappear quickly if we lived in the Bonita Bay Community.

No comments:

Post a Comment