Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Feast of St. Matthias

Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men 
who accompanied us the whole time 
the Lord Jesus came and went among us,
beginning from the baptism of John
until the day on which he was taken up from us,
become with us a witness to his resurrection.”
So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas,
who was also known as Justus, and Matthias.
Then they prayed,
“You, Lord, who know the hearts of all,
show which one of these two you have chosen
to take the place in this apostolic ministry
from which Judas turned away to go to his own place.”
Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias,
and he was counted with the Eleven Apostles.  (Acts 1)


The Lord will give him a seat with the leaders of his people.  (the refrain from Psalm 113:8)


 Five years ago, Jim and I were in Oxford staying at the Jesuit House while Jim delivered the Speakers Lectures.   I decided to get up early one morning and go to the chapel for mass.  Much to my surprise and initial discomfort, I was the only person there not participating as a reader, acolyte, or celebrant.  The message was about Matthias who is mentioned only in this one place in Scripture and yet is "counted with the Eleven Apostles" and even has a feast day named for him!  I wondered if I would be counted when the bread was broken--if I would be allowed to partake.  I carefully noted that the wafer was broken into four pieces and I was welcomed at the feast.  It was a celebration of the Lord's Supper I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment